Social Media Statistics 2017 : FACTS AND FIGURES
- December 12, 2017
In the year 2017, we can observe that more businesses focus on social media marketing. This information comes as no surprise to us.
With the increase of better advertising opportunities and the number of users who are on these sites, all savvy entrepreneurs must take advantage of these booming platforms to gain more visibility for their brands.
We all have to keep up with the times. So below, we’ve gathered interesting statistics about the most popular social media platforms today. We’ve also written up short tips after each set of stats to help you plan your social strategy.
Basic Social Media Demographics
- The average person subscribed to any social media platform spends 2 hours on them every day.
- Out of all American adults, 81% of them has at least 1 social media profile.
- Rounding down at 56% of adults who are online, these users have 2 or more social media platforms that they frequent.
- Out of the whole American adult population, 68% of them have a Facebook profile.
- 79% of American internet users are on Facebook, putting it still at the top of all available social media platforms.
- Out of the whole Americans teenage population (including the district of Colombia), 32% of them consider Instagram to be their favorite social media platform.
- 38% of female internet users are on Instagram, while males are only at 26%.
- 75% of male internet users are on Facebook, while females are at 83%.
- Out of all internet users who have a college degree, 29% of them are on Twitter. Those who have a high school education or less average at 20%.
- More than 80% of millennials read Twitter at least once every day.
- Out of all adult internet users, 60% of them who are on Instagram have an age range of 18 to 29 years old.
- 41% of Snapchat users fall within the age range of 18 to 34 years old.
Social Media Demographic Stats Interpretation
Based on these stats, we can see that the population of adults who are online is steadily increasing. This is a valuable piece of information that you should take advantage of.
Consider the demographics that you’re targeting with your product or service and advertise on social media sites that have users who fall into those demographics.
Social media stats per platform
- Twitter Users Age Ranges
- 16-29 years old – 36%
- 30-49 years old – 22%
- 50-64 years old – 18%
- Out of all these users, 42% of them are on Twitter every day.
- Out of all these users, 74% of them follow business accounts to keep updated on their products.
- 8% of companies from the US advertise on Twitter.
- Out of all these companies that have more than 100 employees, 88% of them advertise on Twitter.
The whole point of Twitter is to give and receive brief pieces of information. You’re not given much space to advertise, but that’s not really necessary.
In fact, the best kind of advertising is attention-grabbing and is able to unload a lot of information very quickly.
It would be useful to come up with different spins and angles for the products or services you’re offering and post them as Tweets.
That way, you can make sure that you include every possible demographic that might fall into the population of your potential customers and you won’t turn them off by flooding their feeds with repetitive Tweets.
- Out of all YouTube videos, only 10,000 have gotten more than 1 billion views.
- More than 50% of YouTube users watch videos on their phones.
- 91 countries have their local version of YouTube.
- The average user spends 40 minutes on YouTube every day.
- Around 400 hours of videos are added to YouTube per minute.
- On an average day, 1 billion hours of video are watched all over the world.
- YouTube beats out any cable network in the US, with its users ranging from 18-49 years old.
- There is a 50% yearly increase in the number of channels that earn 6 figures.
- Google has created YouTube Spaces, which is a program that aims to help creators make the best content that they can that cashes in the most amount of revenue. These can be found in the world’s capitals like LA, Tokyo, and Berlin.
- Creators who have taken advantage of this program have produced more than 10,000 videos that have raked in more than 1 billion views.
What we can take away from these stats is that more and more people use their phones to watch videos on YouTube. This means that they can watch videos anywhere at any time.
This is why YouTube is replacing cable TV as most people’s source of entertainment. It’s much more convenient and efficient.
We live in a fast paced world. So good creators make content with this in mind: how can unload all the information that I want in the most entertaining way and in the least amount of time possible?
It would be helpful for you to adopt the same mindset when advertising on YouTube.
- As of February 2017, 161 million users use Snapchat on a daily basis.
- Out of all these users, 30% of them are millennial internet users from the US.
- Almost 9,000 photos are shared per second on Snapchat, while over 400 million snaps are shared on an average day.
- Places where Snapchat users use the app
- While shopping – 66%
- At a restaurant – 80%
- At the gym – 50%
- At airports – 49%
- Snapchat users are on the app for 25-30 minutes per day on average.
- Snapchat users are predominantly female, roughly at 70%.
- Among the daily Snapchat users, 85% of those fall within the age range of 18 to 34.
- Out of all American social media users, 18% of those use Snapchat.
If you’re marketing something that appeals most to millennials like video games, collectibles, and fashion items, then Snapchat as an advertising platform is definitely worth investing in.
Using Snapchat as an advertising tool can also be a good strategy if you think that you’d reach most of your potential customers through storytelling and engagement.
- Facebook Users Age Ranges
- 18-29 years old – 88%
- 30-49 years old – 79%
- 50-64 years old – 61%
- About 63% of seniors aged 50-64 are on Facebook and 56% are 65 and above.
- Out of the word’s total population, a whopping 22% are on Facebook.
- 68% of the total US adult population use Facebook.
- 155 is the average number of friends a Facebook user has. Female users generally have more friends, with the ratio of 166:145, female to male.
- 79% of internet users from the US continue to use Facebook, making it still the most popular social media platform.
- Out of all college graduates in the US, 775 of them are on Facebook.
- 76% of all Facebook users are on the site on a daily basis.
- Over 65 million businesses have a Facebook account.
- On an average day, about 100 million hours of video are watched on Facebook.
- These tally up to 8 billion video views on a daily basis.
- Posting something on Facebook at 7pm will garner more clicks than anything posted at 8pm.
- Activity on Facebook per minute
- 510,000 comments are posted
- 136,000 photos are uploaded
- 293,000 statuses are updated
- 5 billion comments are posted on Facebook per month.
- Upwards of 2 million advertisers use Facebook as a marketing tool for their business.
- Facebook gets the best traffic during the middle of the week around 1 to 3 pm.
- Engagement is increases up to 18% during Thursdays and Fridays.
- There is a yearly increase of 23% per year of people who use Facebook on their mobile devices. In December 2016, it reached 1.15 billion users.
- In 2016, 76% of Facebook users were on the site every day. That was from 70% last 2015.
- You can expect between 2%-8% organic reach using Facebook.
Facebook remains to be the most widely used social media platform, reaching audiences from all demographics around the world.
This is where most people get the basic information about the businesses they show interest in.
But not only that, these statistics also show that the time spent on this social media platform is still steadily growing. These two facts alone should pique any entrepreneur’s interest.
Make sure that you take advantage of the many different types of Facebook ads to suit your marketing campaign.
- Pinterest Users Age Ranges
- 18-29 years old – 34%
- 30-49 years old – 32%
- 50-64 years old – 24%
- Pinners’ purchasing habits
- Those who plan to buy something in the future – 93%
- Those who have bought something because of Pinterest – 87%
- Those who decide if they want to purchase something offline – 72%
- Out of all Pinterest users, 25% of them are on the website on a daily basis, while 31% visit the site on a weekly basis.
- Pinterest users usually opt to follow a brand rather than a celebrity.
- Referral traffic that comes from Pinterest to other websites reach up to 5%.\
- Pinterest is 5 times more efficient than any other social media platform when it comes to encouraging in-store sales.
Pinterest has long overtaken the reign of the “mom blog” for a couple of years now. Making mood boards is usually a female activity. That’s why you should focus on Pinterest if your target market is adult women.
The best way to take advantage of this platform is to post high quality photos with strategic keywords peppered into the descriptions.
- Instagram Users Age Range
- 18-29 years old – 59%
- 30-49 years old – 31%
- 50-64 years old – 13%
- Out of the whole US population, it has been estimated that 6% use Instagram.
- More than 50% of Instagram users are on the app on a daily basis. 35% report that they scroll through feeds more than once a day.
- 32% of teenagers say that their favorite social media platform is Instagram.
- Out of all Instagram users, 32% of them went to college.
- Over 8 million businesses have Instagram business accounts.
- There are over 1 million active advertisers on Instagram per month.
- Among the top brands on Instagram, 60% of them are consistent with the kind of filter that they use for their posts.
- Among internet users, 38% of females are on Instagram, compared to only 26% of males.
- Over 120 million Instagram users got links to a site and inquired about a product through email or a direct message just from an ad on Instagram last March 2017.
- More than 200 million people use Instagram Stories on a daily basis, beating Snapchat at 161 million.
Instagram is perfect for visual marketing. So if you’re a skilled photographer yourself or you’ve hired someone who is, this is the best way for you to advertise online.
Posting Instagram ads is an excellent way to reach your target audience because most people respond to something visual rather than written.
- LinkedIn Users Age Range
- 18-29 years old – 34%
- 30-49 years old – 31%
- 50-64 years old – 21%
- Out of all LinkedIn users, 18% are on the site on a daily basis, and 31% visit it weekly.
- LinkedIn users who make more than $75,000 a year average at 45% of all users.
- On a monthly average, a LinkedIn user will spend only 17 minutes on the site.
- 98% of posts on LinkedIn that have images in them get more comments than those that have an engagement rate that is 200% higher.
- Almost 20 million SlideShare presentations have been shared through LinkedIn.
- Almost half of all college graduates in the US are on LinkedIn.
- Every second, there are two new LinkedIn profiles.
- There are 3 million users who upload content on LinkedIn per week.
- 1 million of these users upload long-form content
Entrepreneurs with commercial clients as their target audience should view LinkedIn as an important marketing tool. This is a great way to reach professionals because LinkedIn’s aim is faster and easier networking.
This is also a great way to share information within your specific industry.
Customer Interaction Stats
- 41% of US consumers are more likely to trust a brand if the company engages with them through a social media presence. 48% of them have engaged with companies online at least once.
- Almost 60% of US consumers think that contacting companies through social media is the best way to answer their questions about a product or service that they are interested in or to resolve any issues they might have with it.
- More than half of all businesses that have established their social media presence have reported an increase in their sales.
- 90% of them have reported an increase in their brand recognition and traffic.
- 63% of businesses that have been using social media for at least one year have repeat customers.
- Almost 64% of businesses follow other brands on social media to build partnerships and to reverse engineer marketing tactics.
- Surprisingly, only a mere 13% of small business take advantage of social media platforms to engage with their customers.
- 28% of US internet users who have a social media account say that they would rather communicate with a brand or company through social media, instead of talking to an employee physically.
- 32% of Facebook users often communicate with businesses through their Facebook business accounts.
- 39% of online marketers say that they’re on social media platforms for more than 10 hours per week.
Customer Interaction Stats Interpretation
From these stats, we can see that customers would rather engage with businesses online. This makes perfect sense because they can communicate on their own terms, on their own time.
Gone are the days when we’d have to go to a physical location to inquire about products and to raise our issues with their manufacturers.
By engaging online and building up a good online presence, you can create a following of repeat customers who will do your advertising for you.
This is also an excellent way to know what your audience wants, so you can tailor your products and marketing strategies according that.
One final word about these social media stats
The key lesson to take away from these stats is that you would be remiss if you don’t use these amazing social media platforms as marketing tools.
It’s very obvious that the number of people who engage in social media isn’t going down any time soon, so now would be the perfect time to establish your brand online.
If this all seems a little too complicated for you right now, a great solution is to hire our social media marketing company, WebyGeeks to help you get your brand off the ground.
Investing to create a good social media marketing strategy right now would do you a world of good in the future. Contact us today, so we can help you get started on your exciting online marketing journey.
One of our experts is online, she will get back to you